KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Steve & Nancy Riffe
' style=
Date:  3-18-2017
Number of Hours:  3.00
Manual Reference:  
Brief Description:  First Engine Start!

First engine start—successful! Today was first engine start day and it worked out well, mostly. I installed the upper plugs with anti-seize and torque to 35 ft.lbs. I removed the lower plugs. I removed the oil pressure line from the engine to the transducer and installed a fitting connected to some clear tubing which was plugged at the opposite end. I pulled the prop thru for a couple of minutes—suddenly the clear tubing filled with oil an blew the plug out of the other end. After a bit of clean up, I re-connected the line to the transducer manifold. I pulled the prop several more times—the low oil pressure light went out and the Dynon reported about 37 psi. The pressure gradually decreased—at about 14 psi, the light came back on. I installed the lower plugs along with the spark plug leads. We pushed the plane out of the hangar, tied the tail wheel stinger to my truck and got ready for the first start. I got in, had several helpers to watch—also had the airport Fire Department there with a pumper truck—just in case everything went south. I turned on fuel, mags and boost pump (about 5 seconds) and hit the started—Nothing! The solenode just clicked and wouldn’t move the prop. So, I hooked some jumper cables to the battery and the other end to my truck. Back in cockpit, I hit the starter—it spun the engine and it started in about 3 prop revolutions! Woo-hoo! Oil pressure was about 50 psi, idle was 1100 rpm, fuel flow about 16 (I think). I should have written it all down, but got caught up in the moment. After 2 minutes, I ran the rpm up to 1500 for 30 seconds, then back to idle. The CHT’s approached 300, but never went over. I switched off mags one at a time for about 2 seconds—just enough to know they were grounded. After 3 minutes, I moved the mixture to idle cut off. There were no fuel or oil leaks to be found. The engine seems very rich—slobbered a lot—maybe some of it was preservative oil. I considered it a successful first start—I did not see the alternator on line, also need to address
' style=

Looks like I'm praying--just tryin to get my courage up!

Looks like I'm praying--just tryin to get my courage up!

' style=

It runs!

It runs!

' style=

Think it is too rich

Think it is too rich

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2021 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.