I removed the packing around the engine-all except the bottom of the box. Prior to hanging the engine, a few steps need to be accomplished. First off, a plug above the right mag needs to be removed and replaced with a VA-128 restrictor fitting. The plug was not difficult to remove—some builders report having to use a propane torch to loosen the allen head plug. The threads appeared to have been sealed with liquid Teflon, so that is what I used on the restrictor fitting. The manual says to add two oil line cooler fittings—however, the real difficult one below the oil filter was done at the factory. There was easy access to the other port. Again, it appeared to have been sealed with liquid Teflon. I applied sealant to the AN816-8d fitting and installed it in the port. Next, I dug through the f/w forward shipping box and located the 4 Lord mounts and all mounting hardware. The rest of my time was spent studying the manual and the drawings regarding the engine installation.
VA-128 oil restrictor fitting
Fitting for oil cooler line
Gathering hareware (and courage) for the next step