This morning I started off making sure everything was lined up properly and then pealed the forward canopy deck skin back far enough so that I could drill the canopy hinge, I drilled a shallow hole each side with the angle drill and 1/4 inch drill bit and then removed the canopy frame to drill the holes out to 3/8 and then used the rivet squeezer to press in the brass bushings.
With this done I reinstalled the canopy and made sure it operated properly (which it did) before clecoing the skin back on.
With the skin in place the forward center skin on the canopy was catching on the forward fuselage skin, so many many itterations of removing the skin, beveling the leading edge and rolling it resulted in slight improvement, but its was still catching.
Finally I removed the canopy frame for at least the 15th time and tried adding shims to the center of the leading edge, this did the trick and lifted the forward skin so that it would open easily without catching.
Just think only 5 hours to make it open....the sides still need a little work to make them follow the curve of the fuselage, but all up its done and I am pleased that I got it done without destroying any parts.
In hind sight perhaps going for a 32 thou gap rather than the 20 thou gap would have made the job easier.