Brief Description: Resin to cowl interior, install nutplates for nose
I mixed up a batch of resin and spread it on the inside of the lower cowl. Well, it was not enough, so I mixed up another batch spread it, then mixed a third batch. I used a credit card to spread the resin—got all of the exposed glass covered. After it dried, it left a nice smooth surface. Then I started on adding nutplates that attach the upper and lower cowl together at the nose—three #8 screws on each side. There is not much room for the nutplates—plans call for K1000-8, but I used miniature ones instead, also used a single lug nutplate on the right side. I attached the nutplates with screws and drilled the rivet holes using the nutplates as guides. I machine countersunk and squeezed in 11 of the 12 rivets. I used a cherry max pop rivet on one location where I couldn’t use the squeezer nor the rivet gun. I also added nutplates to the cowlings which will be used to attach the cowling side pin covers. I wet sanded the spinner and shot with 2 more coats of primer—calling the spinner good enough for the paint shop to finish.