Brief Description: Rivet long hinge-upper cowl, fab retainer
I mixed up some resin & flox and spread on the upper cowl where the long hinge will attach. Clecoed the hinge in position and squeezed in 29 rivets. It takes as long to clean up as it does to set the rivets—have to be careful not to leave any resin where the hinges mate up or in the hinge holes. Next, I sanded the holes that I had filled with epoxy yesterday. I removed the upper and lower horizontal hinges from the cowling and drilled about 120 holes for additional bonding strength when riveted to the cowls. I also fabbed a short piece of angle for a pin retainer for the upper cowling/firewall hinges. I riveted it to the firewall with some 1/8” rivets. A -4 rivet is too short and a -5 is too long. I tried the -5 andI was able to squeeze the first one with no problem. The second rivet laid over, drilled it out, tried again—laid over again and drilled out again. This time I filed a -5 down to a -4.5 length—was able to set it with no problem.