Brief Description: Rivet vertical hinges-skin side
I marked and drilled three #40 holes in the nose so that I could get the nutplates laid out. Then, I removed both cowls and de-burred the horizontal hinge pieces. Next, I removed the vertical hinges and drilled some #19 holes in the cowling side of the hinge to help hold the resin when I rivet the hinges to the cowl. Cleaned up the hinges and shot a coat of primer on all except the side that will be bonded and riveted to the cowl. While the primer was drying, I got out the Firebarrier 2000 and cleaned the dried goop out of the nozzle. I then very slightly pried back the firewall from the side skins and spread the Firebarrier between the skins. I had previously run a bead on the inside, so hopefully this should seal out any gases etc. from the cockpit. I clecoed the two vertical hinges in place and used the pneumatic squeezer to set all of the rivets on both sides except for the lower two holes—I’ll have to try a different yoke or buck them or use some cherry-max rivets in these locations.