Brief Description: Changing out AN-3 HW - Left Main
Last night I went the the EAA Chapter 12 meeting and had a chance to meet CarrollAnn Garrett. She set a world time record for a trip around the world. Great presentation from her.
But in the course of the day, I was talking to a repeat builder and close friend Dave Forster. I told him that I found the AN-3 HW had been torqued to 85 inches in the QB factory. I called Vans and they suggested backing the nuts off to neutral and then retorquing to 25 inches.
Dave was concerned that the bolts might have stretched or the hw was damaged. Ultimately he talked me into changing it out and I respect his opinion. So today I got started replacing the AN-3 HW on the left main. The old stuff is going to the trash can.
Pretty frustrating time, because I don't feel like I'm making any progress on the airplane. Really frustrating. Work has been keeping me away from the the kit too.
I also need to clean up the workspace a bit. The airplane is becoming a tool bucket and my workbench isn't very organized. That's not doing much to help my attitiude. I hate having a messed up work area.