Brief Description: Mount fuel servo, mixture & throttle brackets
I assembled the mixture bellcrank bracket and the throttle cable attach assembly. Mounted the VA-173 throttle bracket to the engine. I torqued and safety wired the bolts. The fire-sleeved fuel line was attached in the location where the VA-183 mixture bracket mounts to the engine—so I removed it for now and mounted the bracket. Assembly of the bellcrank bracket was pretty much straight forward. I used a 3/16 reamer on the bellcrank for the -3 bolts and a ¼” reamer for the -4 bolts to remove the powder coating from holes. I removed the blank plate on the front of the engine, added a new gasket and bolted the fuel servo in place—used existing hardware, except added star lock washers in addition to the steel washers. I attached the bellcrank and added cotter pins to all of the castellated nuts. I had to remove the mixture control arm on the fuel servo and re-orient it to attach to the bellcrank. Had to do the same thing on the throttle arm side of the servo. Thanks to Scott at Aerovintage for clearing up a few questions regarding these steps. For anyone building an 8, if you haven’t checked his log, you should—he has excellent photos and descriptions.
Assembled belcrank per drawing OP-22
Throttle cable bracket
Mixture bellcrank attached to "re-positioned" servo mixture arm