My frustration with the Baffles & now also the air filter/snorkle arrangement continues, so I took a few days off and went flying. Just so good to get the RV 4 upside down again!
I also had to make up my mind as to how and what to do about the engine cowls.
The pair of RV6 Cowls that I had been given were the correct width but need lengthening and a fair amount of modification, and after discussions with a friend who built a Steen Skybolt, I was convinced to use the nose bowl supplied and make up the rest from aluminium.
So, instead of proceeding with the baffles, I started on the cowls, something that was eventually going to be required before completing the baffles in any event.
I mounted the spinner backing plate to the engine and then clamped the nose bowl to the backing plate, then using the laser level positioned the nose bowl so that it looked right! I then started to fit the angles from the firewall to the nose bowl.
In order to get a level of alignment for the top cowls (the opening sections ) with the lower side cowls, I reinstalled the cabin doors and used the opening window sill as the fore & aft reference level. I then made the cowl joint angles run in parrallel with the sill, and about 6 inches lower.
Using the Laser level for alignment
Cabin doors on before deciding on side cowl joints