Brief Description: Canopy rail mod and panel clearcoat
Removed the canopy rail and cut out a 1 inch section of the top cap at the second most aft mounting screw location. Fabricated a replacement piece which will be held in place by the rail mounting screw. Drilled holes in the skin for a #6 nut plate at the same screw hole location where the top cap section was removed. The above was done to create a removable section of the cap that will allow the canopy to be removed from the aircraft without removing the empennage fairing.
Finally got the guts to paint clear coat over the labels on the main, aux and subpanels. I applied very light dustings for the first 3 or 4 coats so that the clear coat would stick to the labels and then applied another 6 or so coats. I did this to the main panel and the aux panel in the paint both and also on the subpanel which is riveted in the aircraft. Before I sprayed that I masked off the areas I didn't want painted.
After painting the aux panel I noticed that some parts of the labeling had come off on the tack cloth. Fortunately I discovered this before painting the main panel so I didn't use the tack cloth on that. In retrospect it makes sense that the "TACK" cloth would pull the lettering up. I have enough extra labels that I should be able to redo the aux panel if I can't live with it as is.