Brief Description: Canopy skirts part 13 and rudder bottom
Removed the peel ply from the canopy skirt aft splice IML plies. Test fit the skirt back on the canopy frame. The plies near the forward end of the aft splice ramped upward and did not make contact with the canopy glass. This was an artifact of the pre-formed skirts. To fix it I cut away an arched section of plies at the forward end, sanded tapers for scarf joints and bonded patch plies in place to follow the contour of the canopy bubble. I then laid up plies on the cutout section.
I also cut away the "tunnel” at the aft section of the skirt where it was formed to go over the canopy rail. I then sanded a scarf joint and laid up plies over the rail. I still can't seem to get the plies to lay tightly against the top of the rail and form along both sides. If I don't like how it looks after cure I might cut it out again and make a precured tunnel which will then be bonded in place to the skirt.
While the epoxy was drying I started working on the empennage fiberglass. First up was the rudder bottom. To get it to fit, notches had to be cut on the LH and RH sides to clear the rudder horns. I then did some sanding to get a good fit.