Brief Description: T/S: Dimpled all top skins, Installed Aileron Bell
With the rest of the family lying down and reading books etc. for the Sunday afternoon I had the lounge to myself. I setup the DRDT-2 dimpler and support tables in the lounge and proceeded to dimple all the wing top skins while watching the F1 Grand Prix. Worked great this way as there was more than enough space to move the skins around, swapping the supporting tables progressively from one side to the other as I worked. All the top skins were dimpled by the time the grand prix was over.
Later that evening,I thought I'd quickly install the aileron bellcrank - NOT. I discivered that the only way would be to remove the top attachement bracket on each wing to be able to fit the bolt (the spar flange is in the way otherwise). Next I discovered that the inside diameter of the brass bushings provided by Vans is too small to accomodate the AN4 bolt. It needed to be reemed out to 1/4". I ended up doing this by carefully clamping the pushing and drilling out the inside with a hand drill, a 1/4" drill bit and some cutting fluid. It took a while but eventually both bushings were reamed out enough to accept the AN4 albeit snugly. This doesn't concern me much as the bellcrank swivels around the bushing easily without any binding whatsoever.
Dimpling the top skins in the lounge whilst watching the F1 Grand Prix
Moving the support table from one side to the other to supprt the skins as dimpling progresses
Aileron Bellcranck installed - more of a mission that I thought it would be.