Final installed the clutch actuator and reinstalled the motor using loctite on the screws. Greased the shaft and tested operation by connecting the leads to a battery and running the actuator to both stops.
Found that there was more binding against the top stop than the bottom and I had also noticed this when turning the shaft by hand. I removed the upper stop and filed two steps into it to better engage the similar steps in the actuator shuttle that allow it to freewheel. This greatly reduced the drag on the actuator when freewheeling against the stop.
Checked the amp draw on the actuator and found that it peaks at about 1.5 amps when pulling the clutch over center.