Brief Description: Work on lower cowl mounting plates
Happy Independence Day! I didn’t have much time in the shop today, but did get a few things done. First, I re-routed the wires for the Dynon GPS—didn’t like the location where they had to make the jump to the GPS mount. So, I followed some other wiring along the engine mount tubes to end up near the front of the mounting plate. Earlier, I had drilled out rivets to remove the hinge pieces that were to attach the lower cowl to the firewall/bottom skin. I made up some new mounting plates from some .063 plate. Rather than clamp and drill up through the holes in the fuse, I took a different approach. The rivet holes in the hinge piece were slightly larger than .040 from the rivets expanding in the holes. I drilled the holes in the hinge up to .125, then clamped the hinge piece to the new mounting plate. I used a 1/8” transfer punch thru the holes in the hinge to punch a divet in the mounting plate. After all holes were marked, I drilled the locations in the mounting plate to 1/16”, and then to #41. I machine countersunk the back side of plate. Clecoed the plate into position—holes lined up perfectly with holes in the fuse. Repeat the same steps for the opposite side.