Brief Description: Re-do vertical hinges, work on face of cowl
I received some new 1/8” hinge material, so I made new vertical hinges. Pinned them with the hinge previously riveted to the firewall/fuse and installed the lower cowling followed by the upper cowling. I match drilled thru the holes in the cowling into the new hinges. I removed the upper and lower cowlings as well as the newly drilled hinges. I drilled some holes for “resin rivets”, then de-burred all the holes. While the cowl was off, I clecoed it back together. There is a1/4” gap between the spinner and the top of the upper cowl, but it grows wider toward the bottom, so I’m going to build up the face of the cowling to try and get a uniform distance all around between the spinner and cowl. I used my 13” cutout and covered one side with wax paper. I ran a couple of screws thru the cutout about 45 degrees on each side from the bottom. The screws will allow me to raise or lower the cutout to get a more even gap. I mixed up a batch of resin and micro—threw in some flox to stiffen the mixture. I spread this over the face of the nose and pressed the cutout disk down. I may need to do this again as I could see a couple of places that needed more fill—I’ll know better tomorrow when I remove the disc.