Brief Description: Fabbed upper shim strips, sanded for 1/16"gap
I used my Whitney punch to duplicate the holes in the two upper cowling hinge pieces. Then, I clecoed the shims to the cowling and marked what would be a 1/16” set back for a final trim line. Removed the shims and filed them to the marks, then re-installed on the cowling. I block sanded the cowling down to the trim strips, then installed the cowling. Now I have a 1/16” paint gap at the aft end. I installed the lower cowling and noted that I need to trim some more of the bottom to match up with the skin. Manual says to get the bottom of the cowl fitted before marking and cutting the sides. So, I removed the lower cowling—and prepared to sand some more. Being tired of sanding fiberglass, I decided some riveting was in order. There are three rivets on each side of the lower fuse/firewall where it makes a curve from vertical to horizontal. There were three holes left open there, so I filled them with rivets and squished them with the pneumatic squeezer—felt good to do some metal work!