Brief Description: Matching front of upper & lower cowling-1
I’m trying to follow Dan Horton’s method as described on VAF for fitting the cowlings. The manual and other builders indicate that the upper and lower cowling need to match up in the front before mounting the upper cowl. My two parts don’t seem to match very well at all. I cut a 13” circle from ¼” plywood and drew a line thru the center to establish a line that would bisect the cowlings, with the intent of trimming each to this imaginary line. I trimmed both and got the upper to sorta nest over the flanges of the bottom cowl—sorta. I did get the 2 inlets to match in size, but have much work to do on the outboard ends of the inlets to get a better fit. Also, by using the 13” circle, I have gotten the nose of the 2 pieces close to fitting. One issue I did notice is that the face of the upper cowl appears to stick out farther on the left side that on the right side—assuming the edges of the 2 inlets are even, which looks like they are. More research is needed here—I may post a pic on VAF this weekend and ask advice of those who have “been here, done this”.