Brief Description: Baffle seals, oil door, hinge prep
This log covers several days of not real productive work due to temps of 100+ degrees. I installed the top cowling one more time to check fit of the forward baffle seals one last time. While the cowl was in place, I machine countersunk all of the holes for the horizontal hinge pieces. I removed the upper cowling and then removed the seal material from the forward baffles. With the seals and clecoes out of the way, I added additional RTV to several areas in the front baffles to engine which finishes up sealing the front baffles. Then I added some black RTV to the baffles, installed the seal material and pop riveted the seals to the baffles. Next, I worked on the oil door hinge a bit more. I’m satisfied with the fit for now, so I countersunk the cowling in prep for riveting on the hidden hinge. I also drilled some #19 holes in the hinge and spacers to give the epoxy more to grab onto when I rivet the hinge to the cowl. I put a 90 degree bend in the end of the .025 spacer and drilled a couple of 1/16” holes so that I can safety wire the hinge pin to the tab at the end of the spacer.