With replacement parts in hand, I reassembled the horizontal stabilizer. To my great delight, the forward brackets that go inside the stab came pre-cut and pre-drilled. The originals were neither, The holes matched up perfectly with the originals. I believe having cut them too long the first time was the primary reason the stab was sitting too high. Much time was spent cleaning off the old Cortec before sealing up again. I think you could simply glue the plane with that stuff and avoid all the drilling and riveting. After riveting up the stab with the new forward brackets mounted, I trimmed the rear mounting bracket. This time I left a little extra mounting flange. Should I need to shave off some of the bottom to lower the stab, I will have enough on top to provide edge clearance for the mounting holes. This is my 3rd time trimming this part. This time I started by drilling holes where I wanted the curve to be and made the flange cuts with a cutting disk from the edge of the metal to the radius hole. That ended up making much cleaner cuts than trying to use the snips or grinder. After edge finishing and deburring, I think it came out well. Riveted it to the stab. Finally, I removed the old Cortec from the mounting points on the plane and prepped those as well as the remaining mounting parts. Will continue reassembling the HT mountings next time.