Since I have the H stab easily accessible now, I decided to go ahead and open up the bracket slots and fabricate the cover to facilitate the mandatory inspection directive. The documentation Zenith provides for implementing the directive is pretty good, but it doesn't give dimensions for the cover. I essentially took their drawing (based on a 601) and related it to my Cruzer to get dimensions. This, and measuring the locations for the slots took some time. I used a Dremel to open up the slots to enable a look at the hidden parts of the brackets. Everything looked good (no shocker). For the cover material I used a scrap of .025 wing material from parts that I had replaced. To get the slots cut in the cover I drilled the slot corners with a #20 bit. I used some Dremel bits in the drill press to cut the slot lines and clean them up. Used a hole finder to replicate the existing rivet line just above the bracket and a hole fan to locate the 18 new holes on the perimeter of the cover. Riveted on without any Cortec since it will need to be removed for the annual condition inspection.
In retrospect, this should have been done when the stab was being constructed. Having the skin without the brackets inserted would have made locating the curved slots easier. Additionally, nutplates/rivnuts could have been used in place of rivets. Drilling out the rivets for each condition inspection is not that big a deal, but getting the stems out of the interior of the stab is going to be a hassle. Since I don't have the elevator riveted on yet, I was just able to dump them out, but that won't be the case later.