Brief Description: Build Started! Deburr & Prime H Stab
Not too shabby for the 1st day of actual building outside the rudder workshop. With the exception of the skin, which I will prepare separately when I get to it, all of the metal parts for the stab got delabelled. deburred, corners rounded, and treated with Cortec. Working on my deburring technique. Tried a few different drill bits before I found one that left the surface like I wanted it. Many of the parts had surfaces that worked really nice with running a flat file across a whole lot of holes at one time. The long edges were worked with the Zenith provided deburring tool, otherwise it was file time. A few parts already had rounded corners. Nearly every part label was plastered across future rivet lines and had to be removed with acetone. I learned the hard way in the rudder workshop to be careful with the label removing process so as not to dissolve Zenith applied lines and markings by accident.
Note added much later: This would have been the time to plan for modifications to support the mandatory H stab bracket inspection. The plans don't reflect the expanding of the slot opening in the skin and addition of an inspection cover. Making these changes now instead of after the stab is built would allow use of nutplates/rivnuts instead of rivets which will need to be drilled out at each condition inspection, leaving the stems inside the structure which will be difficult to get out. See June 2017 log entry for how I eventually made the mod.