Now that the windshield is positioned, I started on the upper cowling.
Started by making some rough cuts to get the upper cowl to clear the windshield moulding when laid on top. Put padding on top of the injection pump to ensure clearance when fitting the top cowl. I think this is what made getting a good fit so hard. No matter what I did, I couldn't get a reasonable mate with the lower cowl in all locations. I finally decided to the best fit over the most area and re-fabricate the curve that was left over. Turns out the poorest fit is the forward curve on the pilot side. As I mentioned, I think that is because of the injection pump. I used several pieces of scrap metal to secure the halves in place, then I marked the outline for trimming the bottom cowl to mate with the top. I cut out the section that wasn't going to fit anyways to relieve strain. Then I removed the cowlings and cut along the marked lines and reassembled. So far, so good.
Upper cowl positioned for trim marking
Upper cowl positioned to lower cowl after trimming