I feel accomplished today! I started out finishing the rolling of the leading edges of the elevators. I continued using my closet rod with sockets in the ends and then massaged the edges by had until they line up without putting any stress on the cleoes. I then drilled the holes to #30 and riveted them with AD-41-ABS blind rivets.
I then installed the rod end bearings. I used an alligator socket to turn them and they all ended up coming out great! I intalled the ones on the rudder as well. Once the rod ends were installed I tightened all the jam nuts and put torque seal on them.
I temporarily attached the elevators to the horizontal stabilizer. The swing was good in the up direction but down it was just under 20* down travel which is within limits but barely. I ended up removing about 1/4 inch of the bottom flange of the HS-603PP as instructed in the plans and that gave enough for full travel.
I also trimmed the horizontal stabilizer skin on top and bottom and both ends to give clearance for the elevator to swing freely.
I moved on to drilling the elevator horns. I aligned the elevator in trail and then gently clamped it in place. I used a couple of aluminum stops for wire rope as my drill bushing. I had to wrap them with a layer of masking tape to get them to fit tightly in the VA-146 bearing. I drilled the right elevator to #40 and then removed it and stepped through my drills until it was drilled to the final size of 1/4 inch. I then repeated those steps for the left elevator.
I reinstalled the elevators on the horizontal stabilizer and checked for freedom of movement. They move freely and smoothly.
Finally, I used a file and rounded the ends of the E-714 counterweights to match the countour of the E-713 skin.