KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Ron Web Site
< Previous Log Entry          Next Log Entry >
' style=
Date:  6-1-2018
Number of Hours:  9.00
Manual Reference:  Emp 6-5
Brief Description:  Riveting the Vertical Stabilizer

Today I finished the vertical stabilizer. I started out by clecoing and then riveting VS-803PP, VS-808PP, VS-410PP, VS-411PP and VS-412PP. I started out using the hand squeezer since my pneumatic one is out for rebuild. It is hard work hand squeezing -4 rivets! I wasn’t happy with the quality I was getting from the hand squeezer so I switched to the rivet gun and bucking bar. It was actually a lot easier and the quality ended up better. There was one hole that I could not find listed on any of the drawings. It is in the center right above the section that requires flush rivets. I ended up filling it with a AN470 rivet that matched the rest of the rivets on the section.

After I had the rear spar assembly riveted I moved on to the ribs. The VS-704 and -705 were pretty tough to get a good shot at with the rivet gun but I managed to get the rivets set. The angle for the squeezer wasn’t much better. I ended up having to drill out one of the rivets and re-set it.

After riveting the ribs to the front spar I clecoed on the -801PP skin. I riveted all of the ribs and spars with AN426AD3-3.5 rivets except for the once place on each side that went through the skin, spar and rib. Those I upped to a 3-4 rivet since that was what was called out in a similar configuration on the horizontal stabilizer. The -3.5 rivets seemed to short in those locations.

Finally I clecoed on the rear spar assembly, which I ended up having to do twice because I forgot to take the tape off of the holes for the ribs. Oops! I used the hand squeezer again to rivet the skin to the rear spar and the -706, -704 and -705 ribs. It all came out great!
' style=





' style=




' style=




' style=
< Previous Log Entry          Next Log Entry >










Copyright © 2001-2020 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.