KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Michaels Web Site
' style=
Date:  9-19-2015
Number of Hours:  0.00
Manual Reference:  
Brief Description:  Remove engine for rebuild

Per my previous post the oil analysis showed that nickel went up by almost 400%. Aluminum by almost 300%. And Iron by 150%. I did a compression check (cold):
1 = 80/72
2 = 80/72
3 = 80/75
4 = 80/73

So compression was very good, and other than the oil analysis everything appeared fine. But I'm going to tear the engine down and install all new bearings. When I took the cylinders off I found lots of nickel/aluminum residue in the cylinders. More than likely that stuff is in my oil, and the oil screen is not fine enough to get it out. More than one VW guru has suggested that the bearings have either been compromised, or will become so soon. My front hub has been leaking oil. It used to be a little; but it's been increasing. It may be coincidental, but there also could be a connection (I checked and I have no blockage of the breather).

So today we took the engine off and took it back home to work on. It took 90 minutes to set everything up, get the engine off, and get it into the truck. Not too bad.

I have the new cast iron cylinders from Sonex, and all the parts I need for the rebuild. I'll keep this log updated as I progress.
' style=

Home made engine hoist

Home made engine hoist

' style=

Hey! Now it looks like a jet!

Hey! Now it looks like a jet!

' style=

Going back home to rebuild

Going back home to rebuild

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2019 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.