- Finished counter sinking all the holes in the windscreen
- Finished tapping the rest of the holes in the bow
Then I needed to somehow put BIG dimples in the fuselage skins where the windscreen is attached. The Sonex simple dimple die barely makes a ridge in these large holes, and there was nothing in the plans that made a suggestion. So I decided to make my own simple dimple die.. extra large. I don't have any milling equipment, so here is what I did...
The bullet shaped piece in photos #1 and #2 is a 1/2" thick section of what I cut off the end of the windscreen bow.
- I drilled a hole through it, the same diameter as the nail used in the Sonex simple dimple die.
- I then used my vixen file and a LOT of elbow grease to shape it to about a 100 degree angle, an finished up with a fine file to smooth it out.
- Now I took a thick scrap of aluminum, drilled a nail-sized hole, and then used a 3/8" drill bit to create a female side of my own dimple die.
- Photo #3 shows a fuslage skin dimpled with my dimple die.
Sonex simple dimple die below, my home made one above.