- The bronze bushings called for in the plans (for the elevator push rod) were too short to work. Sonex LLC said to buy some longer ones at the local hardware store and cut down, so I did (photo 1). I cut down by loosely putting bushing in vice (the part that was getting cut away) and using the cutoff wheel of my Dremel. The a file and some fine sandpaper finished it up.
- Installed the push rod at the elevator horn, first (photo #2). The arched opening at the right in the photo, was interfering with the full throw of the push rod, so I had to grind away the arch to make it a bit higher. Also had to use 2 washers instead of 1 to get the castle nut to fit properly.
- In photo #3 I cleco'd the 2 vertical push rod support channels. I had left them pilot drilled up until now to check their alignment before riveting. The DO work with the rod!
- Test fit the push rod end fitting that attaches to the pivot assembly (lower left of photo #3). Everything seems to work free and clear.
Off to Disney World for a week, so no work until I return!
Bushing from store on right; cut down & installed bushing left.
Elevator push rod and bushing secured to elevator horn.