This morning Glenn Hunt and John Lavoie came to my home to visit and see how my build was going. Both of them recently finished their Sonexes. Glen has a tri-gear AeroVee with about 20 of his Phase 1 hours flow off, whicl John has a tail dragger AeroVee with about 4 hours of his time flown off. It was great to see them both again, to trade stories, and for me to get a few hints and pointers.
I need to make a special brake to bend the leading edge skin for the left (and eventually the right) wing skin, so I decided to start on the RIGHT wing skinning.
John Lavoie had mentioned that before closing up the wings it was a good idea to make some marks on the aileron bellcranks to set the 25 deg angle of the bellcrank arms (as shown on the plans). He noted that once the skins were on it was very difficult to measure that angle. So that was the first thing I did tonight. Thanks John!
- Next I had to level the wing (see log entries of 1/29/11)
- Then I had to set the rear spar at the correct offset from the wing spar station point. See photo #1 (also in the 1/29/11 log entries).
- Then I set the back edge of the wing skin along the back edge of the rear spar. In doing so it took out the slight bend in the wing spar (which happens with most people's wing spar). See photo #2.
- Now I could start drilling and cleco'ing the skin to the ribs with the help of my push/pull stick (also in the 1/29/11 log entries). Photo #3 is how far I got tonight.
Setting the proper distance from the wing spar station point.
Set and cleco'd the skin at the back edge of the rear spar.