I held off 5 days concerned that the soap and water washing I gave the cowling had somehow left it soaked with water. I think some got in there but after applying dry air, heat, time, I decided to just go with. So I hit all this stuff up with primer followed by the white and the autumn sunburst.
Looking pretty good. Definitely climbing some learning curves.
I realized after the shoot that while previously I considered horizontal shoots easier, I now think the vertical orientation is better. I could have done a better job on the cowling if it was oriented vertically. In the beginning, runs were a major concern and the ability to lay it on thick, given my atomization limitations, seemed to be an advantage. Now I have enough technique to control the runs. Vertical gives me easier spraying postions when cross coating. Plus, vertical naturally avoids some dust. Not sure about all this yet but if I did the cowling again, I'd do it vertically.