KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Bill's RV-10 Builder Page
' style=
Date:  9-18-2014
Number of Hours:  24.00
Manual Reference:  
Brief Description:  SB-14-08-29 - engine removal & re-installation

(from VAF post)
I have <$100 spent on the work plus more hours of my own time than I care to count. It hasn't been fun work but I built the '10 to spend personal time in and on so I could possibly account for the time as income.

I planned to start my condition inspection at the end of September and complete it by now but as soon as I saw the cracks, removal of the engine began.

Once the engine and mount were off and cleaned up, I called a neighbor who acted as my Tech Advisor during construction to inspect and advise. I knew he was an experienced aircraft welder and restorer and hoped he would offer to do the welding. He took the time to understand the SB and the job, explained to me how the frame and the plate had to be prepared and worked to ensure a high quality weld. I stripped the paint, did some grinding and otherwise got intimate with it all.

However my meticulous neighbor indicated that his TIG welder needed factory adjustment because "it wouldn't hold a steady spark". Instead, he suggested that another neighbor be engaged and told me that he would take the job over to him and tell him what needed to be done.

He did that and I went over to 'watch' the actual welding and to act as an intelligent work holder. The actual welding took 15-20 mins with the only glitch being contamination from the oil inside the frame.

The welder then suggested I have the whole mount blasted and powder coated by a guy up the road who does reasonable work. He then showed me an example of another engine mount.

It turned out to be Atlantic Refinishers of Creedmoor NC. I met the owner at the shop door and he said he'd do it in 3 days for $80 but he couldn't match my color. Gray would be fine.

I've reinstalled the mount, the nose gear and the engine using the old hardware and elastomers. None of it was broke, all was within service limits (2 washers), and all of it is easily replaced with new at any time.

So far it's cost me $80 + 2nd day air of the SB + cotter pins and a whole lot of not so enjoyable hours.
' style=

Engine removed

Engine removed

' style=

Engine mount removed for SB repair

Engine mount removed for SB repair

' style=

Welding and powder coating completed

Welding and powder coating completed

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2019 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.