Continued integrating the tail section by disassembling everything to finalize all the tail parts beginning with today's focus: the rudder. Finalized cutting out the rudder leading edge so that everything now moves freely to their extremes with no interference. Next I trimmed, deburred, filed, sanded and corrosion-control painted the rudder fairing in preparation for final riveting. I also attached the upper rudder hinge to the upper hinge that attaches to the fuselage (including its bushing) with a cottered castle nut. I did this because installing that bolt with the rudder fairing installed is a pretty challenging task.
Lastly, I attached the tail tiedown ring and torqued it in place. Funny thing - with the ring aligned longitudinally, it interfered with the rudder lower hinge bolt. Odd that. So I've set the ring to be "broadside" to the longitudinal axis. I can't imagine it would have a noticeable effect in performance or control and it seems safer than having the ring rubbing up against the nut securing the lower rudder hinge. I checked the plans, and even in the picture, that clearance seems tight.
Tail tiedown ring secured.
Rudder fairing clecoed in place and ready for final riveting.
Upper rudder hinge assembly bolted and cottered in place.