In preparation for removing the cabin top, I removed the doors and hinges. With the doors off, I went ahead and marked the interior cutouts for the flush latch installation and then cut the openings. I'll attack the outer cutout with a dremel in the next session.
Once all the fasteners were removed, I enlisted Steve Allen and Jim Coffee to help me remove the top and put it on saw horses. I reciprocated by repairing a door latch on their Cherokee. Then I positioned the overhead console in place. I had to do a bit of trimming for the strut attachments and I discovered that the windshield strut was not as centered as I thought (no problem; I can redrill and fill the first holes when I install the inserts for the final holes). Once I got the overhead centered in place and trimmed to fit, I drilled and clecoed it to the top, and also marked the wire run for the baggage light switch. Positioning the GPS antennae will have to wait until I get the enclosure plates back from the machinist so I don't inadvertently interfere with the oxygen units or wiring. Once the main wiring is installed, the overhead can be bonded to the top; in the meantime I will work on the door flush latches.