The reamers from ENCO arrived yesterday, so I started out today by aligning and reaming the .311 holes at the top of the main gear legs. The reamer shaft was too long to get a drill motor in there but careful work with a vise grip eventually got it done. I then reamed the hole for the brake hardware mount so I could insert a bolt and hold in in place while I fit the wheels. Then I removed the gear legs, installed the spacer, wheels, and nuts and headed for Phil Cobbin.
I showed Phil where I wanted the cotter pin holes drilled and we carefully measured the nut clocking and number of turns to tighten properly on the wheel. Then we removed the wheel and replaced the nut, taping it in place. Next it was off to his Bridgeport mill to drill the holes. Phil is a wizard with machining and makes the difficult easy and the impossible possible.The second photo shows one of the legs drilled. After a bit of cleanup, we tested the installations and got the cotter pins in place. Then it was back to my hangar where I removed the wheels and installed the gear legs permanently, bolting them into the gear towers.
Then I tried to compress the nose gear elastomers. Using the engine hoist, I managed to get it partially comnpressed but the incomplete fuselage didn't quite weigh enough. I added a ratcheting strap from engine mount to gear leg and finally got it in position so I could ream the keeper and install the bolt to keep it in place. Now it will start to take it's permanent set so I can add the final washer later. Next comes the wheels as soon as a couple of small bits and the exchanged nose wheel arrive.