Brief Description: Cut out rudder for trim and servo
Scary day today. I cut the right side skin for the trim servo. Then I cut out the trim tab. It looked horrible but after spending some time with a file, everything cleaned up nicely. Once I had the openings in the rudder nicely cleaned up, I positioned the servo and marked the screw locations. Then I installed four Click-Bond studs. Using the solvent for cleaning took off all my marking but they left strangely clean marks on the skin so I was able to use them for lining up the fasteners but it's still difficult to ensure accuracy while they are in the gluing fixtures. I may have to adjust things at the servo when it's installed. After the fasteners were in place, I cleaned up the tab itself to make sure there would be no binding once it was installed.
To finish the tab, I need to install end ribs in both the tab and the rudder as well as a spar for both (these will be of foam and glued in with Proseal. Before gluing in the spars, I need to hinge the tab and make a control horn, and also turn down the side opposite the hinge so it will slide under the rudder skin at extreme deflection. I'll see about a gap seal when it is all assembled (and possibly painted).