As mentioned in the last entry, I decided to top-mount the VOR whiskers. First I started by carefully drilling out the top rib. Once that was done, I trial-positioned the antenna and drilled 1/4" holes for the whiskers in the rib flanges. Then I trimmed them open with snips and cleaned up the edges until the puck would lay flat on the rib web. Then I measured the distance from the whisker tips to a common centerpoint on the rib and clamped the puck in place when the measurements matched. After drilling the screw holes through the rib, I used screws to hold nutplates in place and drilled, then riveted, them in position. Now the rib is ready to be replaced but first I have to figure out how to attach the cable conduit to the mid-rib in the VS so it doesn't wear. When I do, I won't be counting the rivets I use as they are replacing drilled-out rivets - the count is intended to track the number in the aircraft, not how many I actually used.
Rivet count: 8 Total: 13633 - Plus 549 done at Van's