KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Patrick Kelley (Flion)
' style=
Date:  6-27-2011
Number of Hours:  5.80
Manual Reference:  28-16.3 to 28-17.2
Brief Description:  Final drill gear towers to fuselage

First came the task of bolting the gear towers in place. It took a bit more fitting, but I finally got the holes lined up. While I had wrenches out, I pulled the wing bolts and spacers and removed the blue plastic from the spacers. When bolted back together I went from 3/64" over to maybe a thousandth under. Amazing! Anyway, once I got the bolts in, I fabricated the shims and slipped them in place. Then I went after fastening the bolts. The bottom bolts took forceps to put the hardware on and then I had to put needle visegrips on my longest wrench to reach the nuts; they had to be tightened from the front. I'll check and see if I can get a longer wrench but I may be out of luck.

With the bolts tightened, I pilot-drilled the pads to #30 and then final-drilled them to #12. (Gold clecos are 3/16") Next I put on the side skins with a few strategic clecos (note the line of copper clecos next to the gold ones). Then I did the same thing, using the holes in the side skens as guides. I used a 6" bit to be sure I could get around the wing spar and clecos but this turned out to be a mistake - the bit grabbed and broke. Reverting to a normal bit, I still had some difficulty so I resorted to intermediate bits to bring the hole to the final #12. This was despite lots of cutting oil and care. I got better as I got the other side and realized that it was the transition from aluminum to steel that was causing my problem; I had to attack it with a little extra speed. When they were all done, I disassembled everything and deburred, and cleaned up all the excess oil.
' style=





' style=




' style=




' style=










Copyright © 2001-2019 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.