Brief Description: Elevator Skin Folding & Right Skeleton
There I go again getting behind in this log. On Sunday, I took my elevator skins over to Bill's house and he helped fold the trailing edges of the elevator skins and the tab closures for the trim tab. This was absolutely not a big deal. The folds came out perfectly on the trailing edges and may actully be a little tighter than required but its definately a straight line from the ribs to the radious on the edge. the tab closure were a bit more tricky. Hopefully when they are riveted, they'll lay perfectly flat and not cause any "oil-canning" in the trim tab surface... only time will tell. Side note: It may be a little tricky getting in there to dimple & rivet.
I continued working when I got home from Bill's...
- Edge deburred the remaining elevator skeleton parts & ribs, flared ribs as required. - Drilled the hinge reinforcement plates to the spars (left & right). - Assembled the counter-weight rib assembly, skin, etc. & drilled the weights to the ribs. What a pain that was... Drilling 1 1/2" lead billet not fun nor pretty. Definately need to use cutting oil. -Assembled the full right elevator & started match drilling the skin, skelton & weldment (control horn).
I still have a little more match drilling to do on the right elevator. When done, I will hammer out the left skeleton & prep for a priming session this weekend.