Removed the firewall and deburred and dimpled then put away for now. I have not been real happy with the primer adhesion. To this point it was in non-wear areas so it didn't matter too much. Now that I am working on the cabin area with high wear, I decide to do something different. I decided to use alodine to improve paint adhesion and corrosion resistance. I bought a gallon of Alumi-Prep and a gallon of Alodine. I had quite a few parts ready for paint so I decided to give it a try and handle this batch of parts. Since I am using spray can primer and it doesn't seal the parts I had to prime and then paint. So I started with the first batch and Alumi-Preped the parts which etches and cleans then sprayed with water. Then I soaked in Alodine for three minutes, then sprayed off with water. After all the parts were finished and dried I primed then painted. On the cabin and baggage floor I only did the bottom side. I assume that the top side will get too much wear to hold paint. I will put a piece of carpet down in the baggage area. It all turned out well and I am waiting for it to dry. While working on the paint I also removed the left side skin. Then drilled the F-904-K spar caps. RV-7 Chris has convinced me that I can standard rivet these on the F-904 before the side skin goes on rather than using the blind rivets shown on the plans.
Firewall deburred and dimpled
Alodined armrests, side skin doublers and F-904-K's