Plans: 1. Paint Gussets: Status: Flipped the gussets over and painted the opposite side with chromate. Even this took longer than expected. The paint can nozzle clogged frequently.
2. Construct Coping Jig: Status: Complete. Using a router, I cut a channel 1/2 inch wide and 3/4 inch wide down a side. Then added a clamp to one end and a tubing stop in the channel. The general idea is that the tube slides into the jig held in place with the clamp. The length of the rib is determined by the tubing stop. Two identical ribs are constructed by simply mounting the jig at the necessary angle in the vise and drilling. Although not clear in the photo, a wrench socket is used as the stop. It serves not just as a stop but controls the rotation of the tube.
3. Continue Fuselage Assembly: Status: After many trim-a-little & check-fit operations I learned a reasonably good process for fitting the ribs. Basically it helps a lot to cut the length first on a band saw before coping. Nibbling away from the end to the desired cope is better than making a plunge cut. The tube is much more stable in the jig.
Using the jig I was able to cope five of the fuse ribs today. Not as many as hoped. I had a mishap early on where the arbor broke in two. I needed to make a trip to H.D. to get another one. I lost 1.5 hours due to the mishap. California Traffic!
You can see the oversleeve installed in the photo. The oversleeves increase the diameter of the longeron to 1-1/8" where the landing gear and cabanes join the fuselage.