Spent a rainy Sunday afternoon in the shop. Barely remembered how to get there! So where have I been? Well, it's been a beautiful summer here at the lake this year and I've been taking full advantage of it. Fall will be here soon enough and then back to airplane building.
First order of business today was to insert updated pages in the plan books, and decide which changes to retrofit. I think the only one worth doing for sure is inserting the spacer in the clamp holding the brake lines.
Next order of business was to resume work on the cooling duct. I found this task very daunting, due to several factors. The plans are not perfectly clear to me, and there are a lot of steps and sub-steps. I took a lot of time getting a good fit between the front lip of the lower cowl air intake hole and the cooling duct. This entailed a lot of trimming back of the duct lip where there were only very vague traces of a scribe line. Ended up with a pretty good fit, with only a thin gap to be filled. See Image 1.
Drilled and clecoed the duct in place. Adjusted as necessary for spacing at the aft end for the fit to the interface frame. Marked the 5/16th cut line after figuring out how to get a Sharpie into those tight quarters. Came back to the house and re-read all the VAF entrees from early builders who had a lot of trouble on this page. Looks like I will have to fabricate a bulge in the duct to accommodate the exhaust header spring, as many others have had to do.